Monday, February 12, 2007

A Vegan Rut

Uh. Due to my basic lack of motivation to pay much attention to cooking, things have been a little uninspired lately. Luckily, I have the vegan shopping thing pretty much down, so there is a plethora of ready to eat foods around. I have also made the unfortunate decision to forego most vegan junkfoods...which kind of rules out a lot. Oh well.

I did discover that a local coffeehouse carries Celeste's Best baked goods, all totally vegan and all totally delicious. Well, the cookies looked great but I opted for the pumpkin bread. Couple that with a soy latte and you got yourself a happy little time.

Recent meal combinations:

- black beans, tomatoes, and tofu in corn tortillas
- Boca burger on whole wheat bread with spinach
- brown rice and tofu stir fry with Bragg's and flax seed
- I tried a tofu and hummus sandwich. I'm not so sure about that one.
- I love LOVE whole okra from the frozen section. I always loved them fried, but the whole pods are...interesting. I like it.
- breakfast generally consists of Kashi GoLean cereal with soymilk. Tasty.
- Odwalla bars ROCK. Especially...Choco-walla. Mmmmm.
- pickles. I eat lots of pickles. Dill, thank you.

An Austin buddy has pointed out that Austin's Pizza serves a soy cheese pie...this is on the list of things to attempt soon! I miss pizza. I would be happy with Papa John's sans cheese, though. I love their crust.

I ate a strawberry covered in what I assume was milk chocolate. I apologize for my semi-weekly indiscretions. I feel like I'm in confession.

Jana needs to shake her menu up. With a small budget. Help!

- Jana, in third person.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I hear ya about eating on a tight budget. My roommate and I usually spend about $100/month on groceries, but we hardly buy any prepared foods and get a lot of stuff in bulk.

Your bean burritoes were probably pretty inexpensive, right? I make them a lot (without the tofu).

What about making a big batch of soup/stew/chili? This tends to be pretty cheap, and you can store it in the freezer for later.

Thicken it up and serve it over rice to make it last even longer!

Baked potatoes and a salad w/beans, nuts, or tofu would also make a cheap but filling meal.

Of course there's always pasta and tomato sauce, which you can add more veggies to. Or try a peanut sauce, if you like nuts.

For breakfast I eat oatmeal (59 cents per pound!) with raisins and applesauce.

Hmm, hope those ideas help!

Candi said...

I agree that vegan soups are So cheap and easy! They are filling and last a long time too, especially with a salad or bread with it. You can make lots and freeze it too! :)

I have oatmeal for breakfast too, or cold cereal with soymilk. I like protein shakes when I'm late and can't eat a real breakfast. (soy milk, protein powder, and a fruit or two blended up!)

Good luck! I think you are doing great!

Unknown said...

Hummus and Tofu? I'm not that brave. However, I made a hummus, avocado, and tomato sandwhich last night. It needed a little more spice, or maybe some onion, but it was still really good. Unless you don't like avocados. In which case it would probably be considered pretty gross.

Jamie and Jana said...

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! I will definitely have to do the stew thing. It's gotten cold here in Austin (even by normal people cold standards, haha) and that sounds excellent. I am really excited about the "over rice" idea. Tasty.

Lei, it was fried tofu? lol I swear I saw it in a recipe somewhere. Veggie sandwishes save me at restaurants!

L said...

i love sandwishes too!

the soup idea sounds good. my vote: vegan chile. YUMMY!

Beth said...

I second the oatmeal for breakfast bit. Add some flax seed and blue berries.. pretty tasty.
Or you could revert to adding red chile, but if you do that, add cinnamon too hehe.