Friday, February 2, 2007

The Wall (and I ain't talking about Pink Floyd)

Um, the prospect of 60 more days of this is horrifying me. There, I said it. For several reasons, none of them with merit.

- "Are you STILL doing that vegan thing?" Yes, thanks. I am.

- "Man...I'd offer you some of my________, but it's not vegan." Great. Just great.

- "So um...what do you EAT exactly?" Rocks, sticks, and leaves, duh.

- I spent $60 more on food than usual in January. I'm not sure where it went. I think mostly BocaBurgers and Tofutti. That's not good. Also, no matter how cool the Whole Foods of the world are, they are frickin' expensive, and I can't do it.

But then yesterday I received a magazine from PETA in the mail with vegetarian lifestyle tips, and an article about a "downer" cow made me get a little misty-eyed. It's horrible. It really is. Read this article. How can you even crave a hamburger for dinner after reading that?

We are no longer living in the days of my grandparents, where Bessie lived out her life chewing peacefully on grass in a giant pasture in Nebraska, roaming around until she got the axe and was parceled out to the neighbors, who knew exactly where she came from, what she ate, and how she was treated. We are eating refuse and abuse. Good for the soul?

I feel like one of the "weird" and "stupid hippie environmentalists" that Rush Limbaugh (and much of my family) loves to make fun of. All I can say is...my parents raised me to respect Creation and to take care of it. I don't see that happening, and it makes me uneasy.

So I'm gonna stick to it.

-- Jana

4 comments:

L said...

thats what we like to hear. stay the course jana!

Bridget said...

you can do it...1/3 of the way there...

Beth said...

I applaud you for this endeavor and I think people have an inherit trait to mock the new/unconvential ideas out of fear. I'm sure Lincoln had his fair share of haters. I am offended by some of my lecturer's off handed comments about vegans and I'm not even one.
Also... you know what's weird? So the whole raising cattle on a nice farm and slaughtering it and giving it to friends? I have family friends in CO who do that sort of thing and that creeps me out more than buying some store bought ground beef. Why? Because that animal had a story, a life, people who adored it. Sick huh?

gauche caviar said...

so i just discovered, you can get a pizza at austin pizza with soy cheese. i'm almost intrigued. almost.