Friday, January 26, 2007

Me Too.

Ok I'll admit it. I have had (as far as I know) two indiscretions.

1. I forgot to say "no cheese" on veggie tacos at a restaurant. Eh. Scraping works.

2. Last weekend, the very weekend Jamie was partying it up, I was having dinner with friends before a concert. (A concert that rawked, by the way. Patty Griffin is amazing. But I disgress). Not wanting to be a pain in the butt, I ate cheese again at dinner. We were sharing things, the cheese was there...sigh. I explained to them our 90 Day Challenge, but then proceeded to "take" the "night" "off." This is purely weakness and the need to fit in on my part. All of you true vegans out there, I salute you. It's easy for me at home. I live by myself. No one thinks it's weird that I eat BocaBurgers for every meal. But somehow, the desire not to be the weirdo at the table causes concern for me.

I will say that later that weekend, I ate out AGAIN...and I did ok. I got tacos with corn tortillas filled with spinach and potatoes and peppers. After I had eaten half I realized the potatoes tasted kind of buttery. I never would have thought about asking about butter on the potatoes. It could have just been oil, who knows.

So I think that overall, for being almost 4 weeks in, 2 known mishaps is pretty ok. They probably shouldn't have happened at all, but as all of you lovely people have pointed out to Jamie...we just gotta move on.

I had the most fantabulous vegan dinner tonight, though, thanks to a friend who understands the challenge, haha (thanks, J!). She made pasta with pine nuts and a grapefruit and avocado salad which pretty much rocked my socks. J even checked the pasta ingredients for egg. :)

I am also thinking I will venture to the local co-op before my afternoon gig tomorrow for some vegan cornbread. It's supposed to rain tomorrow morning and cornbread and coffee sound about right. I am realizing with this experiment that even though lately I am too busy and tired to really cook, I am a foodie at heart and always will be. Veganism is allowing me to eat a lot of fresh, healthy, "colorful" foods, and I appreciate that quite a bit. I've had a heck of a time getting to the grocery store this week. That's kind of sad. I'm out of black beans.

Quick, people! What do you do for protein? I know PB has it but isn't that a different kind of protein? Do I just have to start putting beans in everything? Share. Thanks. :) Happy Saturday!

-- Jana, wishing she had the tequila, too.

2 comments:

madeinalaska said...

Hey Girls. go here..

http://thepoliticsoffood.blogspot.com/2007/01/i-feel-need-to-post-this-information.html

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/protein.php


Lots of info…

The other thing is do you eat nutritional yeast flakes?? or tried them? They are basically a b12 vitamin.. They are kind of an acquired taste but, as a vegan it is important vitamin. You can usually find in the bulk food section. We shake them on our toast or popcorn and have many recipes that I sneak them into…
or try

"cheese" sauce
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt & garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups water
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tbs. earth balance
Combine dry ingredients and water and heat until bubbling and thick. remove from heat add mustard and earth balance

I mix this w/ noodles and top w/ bread crumbs (watch labels) and bake or add to baked potatoes whatever...
take care and goodluck!
Julee

Nicole said...

Congratulations on your efforts so far! The two of you are doing a great job, and I've had fun reading your blog.

As far as protein goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much (as long as you are eating enough calories, and a variety of foods, you're probably ok).

Illnesses caused by protein deficiency are practically nonexistant. Who created all this hype about protein anyway? Probably the people who are trying to sell high-protein products!

There is protein in everything: Even vegetables average about 1-5 grams per serving. Pasta and grains average about 5-9 grams per serving. And higher-protien plant foods include, nuts, beans, lentils, peas, tofu, tempeh...

As Dr. McDougall says, if there is enough protien in plants to grow an elephant, a hippopotamous, and other huge herbivorous creatures, surely there is enough to sustain a small human:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_protein.html