Thursday, January 4, 2007

Sugga snap peas and instant puddin'

Veganism does a body well.
I'm like what? 4 days into this thing and I'm already feeling better. My arch nemesis "THE SCALE" is starting to suffer a defeat, as it claims I have lost 4 pounds. This doesn't make too much sense because I've been eating a lot of PETA approved junk foods, but hey, I'll take what I can get.
Yesterday I made my first ever vegan home cooked meal. Either veganism is pretty tasty or I'm a damn good cook. I mixed some fresh spinach, garlic, sun dried tomatoes and olive oil with some pasta. It was pretty wonderful. I ate the leftovers for lunch today.



In other dairy free news, I tried sugar snap peas because they were supposed to be a "Delicious Sweet Snack" according to the package. They tasted a lot like vegetables to me. I found some other uses for sugar snap peas:





Dog Food?



As a means of seduction.



Dentures



Braces



Eyebrows



Cigarette



Er...other cigarette...




Smile implant.

So being a vegan is pretty fun. Although I did come across quite a conundrum today. Mono and Diglycerides. Or as far as I can tell "one and two fats." They're in everything! Some come from vegitables and some come from animals. I don't know how to tell which ones come from which. On the PETA web site they recommend Jell-o vanilla instant pudding as an "accidentally vegan" food. So I whipped up a batch with some soy milk, and as I was waiting for it to set I noticed that the pudding had mono and diglycerides "to prevent foaming" so now I'm wondering if I can eat my pudding... I mean if PETA says it's ok I think I'm ok, but there are Web Vegans (TM) out there who forbid all of these mono and diglycrides. I don't know. On another note, the pudding has been in the fridge for over an hour and has yet to set. I believe that is the soy milk's fault. Maybe all that healthy soy is revolting against the evil glycerides and refusing to set. Either way I have a big bowl of vanilla soup which may not be vegan setting in the fridge.

On a final note, in the spirit of veganism, the dogs decided to eat EACHOTHER today and had fantastic fight. There were tufts of dog fur all over the kitchen. Hopefully the stray hairs didn't get into my tofu tonight... dog hair is not vegan.

For now, SOYenara (ha ha)

Jamie
How's it goin' Jana?


6 comments:

Beth said...

I like the pictures. I giggled a lot.. also the food looked pretty tasty. Remind me to send you and Jana the recipe for a hearty broccoli and roasted almond soup (That's all it has in it pretty much.. so I assume it's vegan.. but who knows)

Jana said...

ROFL I love you

Keri Jean Siry said...

You guys are hilarious. I commend you for your experiment and if you need any hints feel free to email me or check out my blog anytime!
http://thepoliticsoffood.blogspot.com/

Keri Jean Siry said...

You guys are hilarious. I commend you for your experiment and if you need any hints feel free to email me or check out my blog anytime!
http://thepoliticsoffood.blogspot.com/

Mandy said...

Unfortunately, instant pudding is just about the only place where soy milk won't replace cow's milk. But on a lighter note, soy milk works quite nicely in cooked puddings!!

areslei said...

regular snap peas may not be your thing, but there's a snack pea treat that is baked, but tastes fried. they are salty and good...
only the original flavor is vegan...
http://www.snacksalad.com/products.html