Thursday, January 4, 2007

jana: day 4 and still alive

Well. I had myself some tasty "vegan goodness in a burger!" last night and it was quite, er...tasty. It was no burger. The psychology of faux meat is interesting. How do you approach it? I don't walk around with a chunk of styrofoam calling it a "faux space shuttle." If you want a shuttle you build a shuttle. The very term "faux meat" implies that it is supposed to resemble meat in taste and texture. I found that my vegan burger didn't really replicate a hamburger at all, aside from it's patty-shaped goodness. It was more like an...oat lump. Or something. I know that sounds gross but really, it was spiced well and I *like* the texture of that sort of thing anyway. I like oaty cookies and seedy bread (and I do mean with seeds, not back alley drug dealer bread). So it wasn't a hamburger replacement, but I don't really want one at this point in time. I have, however, been told by my Vegan Army (TM) friends that there are vegan BBQ riblets around. I am intrigued.

So the first four days have been pretty good! I have spent more time focusing on what I CAN eat versus what I can't, for the most part. I have photos, but someone left her camera at work so those will have to come tomorrow. Last night I mixed the vegan burger in with some brown rice and veggies for a stir fry. Tonight I had rice noodles with tofu and lime. I froze the tofu when I was gone over Christmas, and it had a decidedly spongier texture this time. Not in a bad way, really. I will never really figure out tofu, but I can pan sear it well enough that it tastes good to me. Also I just like saying "pan sear."

My hardest challenge came on Tuesday when a bunch of 4-H kids came to my office and we baked cookies for the troops. I was surrounded by mountains of snickerdoodles. Usually this would be a good thing...not so when you're on Day Two of the Vegan Challenge. Four messy, flour-covered hours later I emerged a little worn out but still true to the pact.

Dessert starved, I immediately went home and invented Jana Heaven. Here's the recipe:

One wheat tortilla
One banana
Peanut Butter (natural organic)
4 small pieces of vegan dark chocolate

I'm not going to tell you how to assemble it. I would hope, dear readers, that you can figure that out. (It's a spin off on Beth's creation of a PB/Chocolate Burrito in college. That was hysterical). Nuking it in the microwave for a bit seals the deal.

I still have not tried to eat out. That prospect scares me! How's it hanging, Jamie?

-- Jana


Faux space shuttle


5 comments:

L said...

i am cheering you on! (between contractions that is...)
sounds like you are adjusting brilliantly!

Blogspot Poster said...

No matter what comes of the Great Vegan Experiment, your body will never have to pay for the calories of those snicker doodles. That is the triumph of will power. - Stephanie (using Joaquin's gmail because I can't remember my password).

areslei said...

hiya guys. fyi, gardenburger tastes a lot better than morningstar farms. also, when craving that chicken sandwich, try a boca spicy "chicken" patty. you have to watch out, though, some of them (the older ones) have egg whites in them, while the newer ones don't. throw some lettuce, veganaise, and tomato on there and you're good to go.

Beth said...

heheh you ate the pb burrito hehehe
Nice.

areslei said...

the vegan riblets are actually really good...tortilla, salsa, riblets= yum...
http://www.gardenburger.com/eat-positive/veggie-specialties/bbq-riblets.php