Friday, January 5, 2007

Poverty + Veganism = Superfood

"What the $%^# am I eating??"

So I'm a vegan on a budget. I have things like guitar strings, scotch tape, and Swiffer duster replacement cloths to buy. I am also a forgetful vegan, especially on mornings when I oversleep and have to bolt out the door, leaving my lunch laying there on the carpet by the door whining, "Why did you make me just to leave me?" Erm...oops.

So it was off to HEB at lunch time in search of a quick meal. An orange. A banana. And then lo and behold, we find the Odwalla bars and discover that the Superfood(TM) flavor are all half price. Now, a normal person might be suspicious as to why these things are half off...perhaps they taste like the instant soy pudding that was gurgling in Jamie's fridge. Who cares, they're on sale! I was expecting a green brick. I got a dark brown (is that a hint of green? is it??) chewy...thing. Tasted like bananas. Four more to go.

Dinner was another burger on toast with hummus and avocado, and some tasty, tasty brussel sprouts. My friend was telling me I might have a lot easier time of this endeavor since I already eat weird healthy stuff like these little green balls of death. I hope he's right, because the prejudice against brussel sprout eaters is intense. I need something to show for my love of mini-cabbage.

Glenn Miller is "in the mood"...for a sprout.

Jamie, what gas-causing foods have YOU been consuming today? :)

-- Jana

2 comments:

madeinalaska said...

ahh ya, just stumbled on to your blog and ahh you two are hilarious.. I am wishing you well during your vegan challenge!
happy new year..
and I do look forward to reading more of your adventures.
Julee

Beth said...

duuuuude. I ate the little green balls o death tonight too! Though the rest of my meal was not so vegan.
I made pancakes this morning... just a few tweaks and they'd be very vegan I think. Apple cinnamon oat pancakes. mmm.