Monday, January 1, 2007

Vegan newbies

Well, here we are. I'm Jana, and soon you will be reading a post by Jamie as well. We're pals. Friends. Buddies. We get each other. That's why when Jamie said, "Jana I'm going to be a vegan for 90 days starting on January 1st," I realized it would be excellent to tag along. I've been toying with vegetarianism/veganism for about 4 months now, but only half-heartedly and with intents to "do more later." Well, now is later. Hence I am intruding upon Jamie's social experiment. I'll let Jamie post her reasonings in-depth herself.

This weekend I went a'shopping as a vegan for the first time. That was hard. I almost gave up before starting. However, we have transformed the kitchen.

Out:
Tuna, salmon, eggs, chicken, and jello. Boo.

In:

Soymilk, dark chocolate, vegan burgers, flax, rice noodles,
Bragg's amino acids, popcorn, wheat tortillas! Yay.

To be fair, I don't keep a lot of meat around anyway because I have recently discovered that raw meat grosses me out. I will miss my canned salmon. Bummer. I also started drinking soymilk about 4 months ago and like it alot. I don't buy cheese.

The hard part for me will be navigating restaurants and handling the inevitable situation of being invited over to someone's house for dinner. Thankfully Jamie and I have a veritable army of vegan friends (well, ok...3) who are ready and willing to advise and counsel. We're lucky that way.

Your turn, Jamie!

No comments: